Tuesday, August 7, 2012

2:12


Last night at 2:12 AM, (I love digital clocks, they tell to the second just how awake I am), I thought of a line, a saying, a cliché, maybe someone else’s, maybe mine,  whatever you want to call it, and after I thought of it I remember thinking, I won’t remember this in the morning and that pissed me off. But this morning I did remember.

Wake up with a dream go to bed with a prayer.

Passing math, getting your license, graduating, getting the ‘thick’ college packet, waiting for him to call, or show-up, pick-up or ask...the job, the house, whether the stick would turn blue…

Wake up with a dream go to bed with a prayer.

Writers do this all the time, from first byline, to title page, to NYT’s bestsellers list. We work so long and hard, (alone mind you), that the dream washes our DNA, soaks into it, becomes it and the prayer, an everlasting a mantra.

All of my life, the dreams that became prayers…they were answered, although I didn’t always get the answer I wanted. If I look at where I am, and where I have come from, the answers have suited my life well. I’m at the stage where I am trusting in the system.

Yup, it was 2:12 AM, exactly, not the time I was awake but the time I thought of the line.

Wake up with a dream go to bed with a prayer.

I wonder what I’ll think of tonight. What do you think of at night?

3 comments:

Teri said...

I go to bed thinking, no joke, "I hope I can go to sleep!"

And then I start remembering how easy sleeping was (pre-menopause) and go into a weird kind of mourning.

Which keeps me from going to sleep!

Jen G. said...

Hmmm...my mind usually wonders over things that happened on that day. And the last person/situation I was thinking of often ends up in a dream I have. Very strange, but I don't mind dreams, they may lead to an idea!

Mark Koopmans said...

Aloha,

Just stopping by to respond to your comment over at Janet's Blog.

I'm new here (to your blog) but please don't sell yourself short. I've been working on my WIP for several years and I've queried like mad and nearly quit (see my current post!!!) but the project is *too* important and it's my "baby," so I want it to see the light of day.... some day... any day :)

Good luck, and I'm a new follower :)