Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Oh to be a FMESSN

I can’t believe I have been posting on this blog for over a year and a half. I’ve gone from project to project, idea to idea, on a merry-go-round of writing. I write a lot. I love it.

Betsy Lerner says, at least I think it’s her, “…don’t be an ambivalent writer”. My apologies to Ms. Lerner if I got it wrong, but I think she said, focus, damn it, stop jumping from project to project. But gee, I love writing all that stuff, essays, memoir, novels and short stories. I don't just sit down, start and never finish. They are all done.

Stephen King says, (I shall paraphrase), figure out what you write well and write it. I read once that he said he knew he’d never be able to write the ‘Great American Novel’ so he embraced horror because that’s what he wrote well. Whoa, Mr. King, back up Christine. He must have been very young and naïve when he said that because to me RITA HAYWORTH AND THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is certainly an American classic, plus at least a dozen more, I won’t go into listing now.

So I shall continue to write. I’ll throw them all at the wall to see which ones stick. Like the EGOT’s - winners of an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony award, I would like to be a FMESSN, a writer in Fiction, Memoir, Essay, Short Story, and Non-Fiction. Don’t need an award though, publication is reward enough. I’ve written them all; watch out… here goes…wind-up…where the hell is that wall anyway?

So, did you finish your last project or, with your ass in the chair, did you think of the next one instead?

No comments: